Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Our Helpers, my Confession, and a Monster

Our house projects continue to move along with more than a little help from our friends and fam. My dad and mom and Grandpa Lawrence continue to come and go, each equipped with their own expertise and skill. 
My dad is an incredible man with a very high pain tolerance, working construction with one hand while his other [dominant] hand heals from an accident that nearly left him lacking several digits. My mom is an impressive woman who maintains cleanliness to the most Dutch of standards and manages extreme organization not every once in a while, but all the time. (It's crazy, I don't know how she avoids making messes?!) Together, my parents accomplish a lot. My Grandpa is hands down, the best fix-it guy I know. From broken lampshades and picture frames to plumbing and electrical, there doesn't seem to be a problem he can't solve.

Without our crew of helpers, this house would be simply mediocre. 

Confession: Sometimes, okay often times, when I come up with a new DIY idea, what I really mean is, "Dad and/or Grandpa, can you pretty please do this for me?!" 

I grew up with a dad who always told me, 
"If you can draw it, I can build it." 
Which is a handy situation for a dreamer such as myself. I've always thought it empowering, even though it was he who did the work, not me. My dad's ability to build whatever it was I wanted "needed" may, however, have created a monster within me...A beast that's hard to smother...A will that's hard to beat. And that's where my mom returns to the story. My mom has a work ethic that puts many of the rest of us to shame and she lives by the phrase, 
"Where there is a will, there is a way." 
So we purchased this house and alas, we had an abode that was all our own. Since getting the keys and walking through the front door I've clung to my thinking that anything I imagine can [and should] become a reality and I've embraced my mom's voice echoing in my head, urging me to press forward.
Therefore, my DIY monster has been and continues to be on a rampage...

Stay tuned! More pics of our progress (and less words about it) are soon to come!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment